Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cunt: A Book Review

Cunt...
Apparently this word is supposed to invoke anger and outrage in me. This is supposedly one of the most offensive words I could be called. I can't say I want to be called this anytime soon, but I have never considered it any worse than other derogatory words. Maybe our culture has just come that much farther since this book was written (1998). Regardless of my feelings about the word, the book Cunt was incredibly thought provoking.

Some things I learned:
  • You can induce a miscarriage naturally. This BLEW MY MIND, there is such thing as essentially a homeopathic abortion. With the right combination of herbs and pelvic massage I could force my body to reject a fetus. If this isn't empowerment I don't know what is.
  • I have new views on feminism and lesbianism to be first more fully defined and then later discussed here on this blog.
  • So much of my life is controlled by white men. So very much of it.
  • Our culture very much supports rape. Rape of women, rape of the land, and sadly rape of our children.
I struggle with what to rate this book. I struggle with even how to describe it. So much was discussed. The bullets above pretty much summarize what I took from it. That might not seem like much but trust me it was very powerful. I kept finding myself looking forward to having some time to read a little farther. I stayed up much later then I should have many nights because I just wanted to read "one more paragraph". Inga Muscio is a great storyteller. I could feel her emotions throughout the book. I could envision myself in the situations she shared. I felt her anger, her happiness, her disdain, and her frustration. Most importantly I learned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com